Here are some diagrams showing the Skeleton plans from 1890 to 2013
Skeleton plans of the earliest surviving part of the building dating from the early 16th century.
The model shows the simple two bay post and truss construction with common rafters, collars, tie beams and purlins. He walls have a mid rail running all round the building which reduces the height of the vertical studs. The inserted floor joists later are supported off the mid rail in the hall. The posts are all jowelled and the sill would have been set above the ground level on a rough, probably clunch plinth which has subsequently been replaced by brick. As with many buildings of its type, the original floor level has been lowered as the earth floors were dug out to increase head height.
Skeleton plan of the additional wing.
Building the new wing at the back rather than at the end of the existing building required a far more complex structure. Whilst the post and truss is fairly straightforward below roof level, the complexity of linking it into the old roof requires considerable alteration to the original part. A ridge needed to be installed off which two new purlins were carried. This caused some unbalancing to the roof as is evident by the provision of the additional timbers to retain stability.
The blended drawing
Model showing the two parts blended together.
The complexity of the structure is clear when the two parts are put together. It is unlikely that an alteration of this type would have been built unless it was not possible to build at either end of the original building.