1920s Elm Tree Farm, situated on the corner of Hambridge Way with the Elm trees. In the 1890 auction at the Sun Hotel, Hitchin, this farm was bought by Francis Gurney from Stafford Allen and run by the Gurney family. It was described as: “Well situate (sic) in one of the best positions in the village of Pirton. The house contains seven bedrooms, dining room, drawing room, kitchen, store-room, cool dairy and wash house. The farm has a large cattle yard with entrance from the road, numerous farm buildings and several valuable enclosures of excellent pasture and arable land of about 99 acres 0 roods 19 poles.”
1930 John Gurney outside the farm he owned.
1930s Looking down Royal Oak Lane with Elm Tree Farm on the right and the thatched barn of Little Green Farm beyond.
In 1944 the farm was bought by Stan and Phil Walker. In 1947 Elm Tree Farm and the adjacent Little Green Farm were amalgamated by the Walkers.
The barns surrounding the farmhouse.
The farm was passed down to Stan and phil’s sons, Alan and Ken. Alan and Pat Walker live in the farmhouse.
This was the last farm to be lived on and worked by a Pirton family before the land was sold in 1997
An aerial photo showing the first phase of houses built on the farmyard.
The proposed plans for the second phase of houses.
Share this page:
Warning: Though due care has been taken to accurately transcribe entries into the database, no liability is implied or accepted by the transcribers for any errors or omissions. This database is intended only as a guide, the user should check relevant entries at source.