Pirton Board School opened on 15th January 1877 before that some village children went either to the Church of England National School on Great Green or to one of the plait schools. Attendance at school, for children between 5 and 10 became compulsory in 1880.Until 1891 parents had to pay 1d, 2d or 6d per week in fees for their children’s schooling. When the board school at Pirton opened there were 168 children in the Mixed Department and 173 in the Infant Department. Admission registers began in 1877 and continue until the present day. The records in the database date from 1886-1898, give the name and date of birth of the child, father’s name and address.